Other Universal Design Resources and Guidelines
- Building Zero-Step Entries: Universal access should begin at the front door (Journal of Light Construction, September 2009) - Also available as PDF.
- Institute for Human Centered Design - Universal Design Case Study Collection. An international collection of Universal Design case studies. The project seeks to explore and highlight current “best practices” in Universal Design in the built environment.
- Rural Green Building and Universal Design Case Study. Case study of the Built Green 3-star residence of Mike and Karen Vowels in rural Duvall – a union of green building and universal design principles.
- Recommendations for Essential and Advanced Universal Design Features and Product Characteristics in New, Single Family Housing. September 2010, by Dr. Sandra Hartje, Seattle Pacific University. These recommendations were developed as part of a joint effort with the NWUDC’s Housing Task Force.
- Universal Design New York – Developed for both public and private development interests, this booklet provides practical examples of how to implement Universal Design.
- AARP Home Design – The web site includes helpful checklists and design tips, information on Certified Aging in Place specialists, and winning projects from AARP’s annual Livable Communities design awards.
- Center for Universal Design – a national information, technical assistance, and research center that evaluates, develops, and promotes accessible and universal design in housing, commercial and public facilities, outdoor environments, and products.
- Generations Series Homes – Floor plans and features to accommodate the needs of all family members. By Shared Solutions America, a national non-profit organization and Resource Center for education, technology, and funding alternatives for seniors and people of all ages with disabilities.
- Visitablilty – A summary of the goals, benefits and features of inclusive housing design. Published by the Center for Inclusive Design and Environmental Access (IDEA).