Welcome to the Northwest Universal Design Council
Universal Design (UD) considers all aspects of the built environment—homes, mobility routes, landscapes, commercial developments, products and life space, including equipment and architecture—with the goal of making them accessible to every person, regardless of age or ability.
Benefits of universal design for all, regardless of age and ability:
- Sustainable: anticipate change to avoid expensive renovation, retrofitting, and wasting of building materials;
- Accessible: enjoy the company of all members of the community together;
- Flexible: reinvent, redefine, and repurpose space as you experience temporary or permanent changes through the lifespan;
- Marketable: appeal to a growing segment of the population;
- Maneuverable: increase perception, movement, and safety by removing obstacles and hazards.